WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2006 01:52 PM, CST
Ellie said it best: "God sent us the right baby!"
Michael is a dream come true! I was affraid to even imagine a baby this good after all he has been through. He is happy, active and talkative. He is just full of smiles and happy little squeals for us. He just gets fussy when he wants to eat or is wet. He also does not like to be left alone and has wanted to be held while sleeping.... but that is understandable. There were a couple of times when he first awoke that I could see fear and confusion in his eyes, but as soon as he heard my voice there would be recognition and a smile. There were times yesterday when he would be clearly overwhelmed and refuse to look anyone in the eye, so we tried to give him his space. He looks around at everything, just studying. It is a lot to take in. Things are so very different here than in Seoul.
Okay, now I will back up a bit.... I know your first concern is how Michael is doing!
On Monday I met woth the Dr. Kim's, the senior Dr Kim was a government big wig when he quit to start Eastern Social Welfare Society over 35 years ago. On our applications there was a place where you list your occupation and I put "children's ministry". There eas no amount of explaining I could do to make the Dr.'s believe that I was not a minister - or clergy. They thought I was just trying to be modest! The elder Dr. Kim took me out to lunch. It was amazing to hear all he has done for the orphaned children in Korea. I know everyone says this - but what an amazing man.
After our lunch I was able to see Michael again briefly. The social worker was there giving final insturctions and the foster mom brought a ton of gifts and a really beautiful hanbok. I had trouble getting it all in my suitcases. After he left to visit the dr. for a pre-flight eval. it all really hit me and I became really emotional. It was so strange. I was more than ready to go home to my family, but felt terrible leaving all of those babies I had rocked, one in particular. I felt terrible for Michael, knowing just how homesick I was... and he would soon be. It was a difficult evening - I had to stop down into the nursery to say goodbye to the baby Kari and I had deemed "Mr. Smiley". I cried thinking of leaving those babies there just needing to be held and loved.
The morning was stressful and surreal. Michael's whole foster family was there to say goodbye. His 18 year old foster brother spoke english, so I was able to give him our e-mail address. They were such great people and clearly loved Michael. Mikey fell asleep in my arms on the way to the airport, and I felt at peace. I knew that the flight would be fine. There was even a 70+ year old Korean woman who helped me with him the whole 15 hours.
Please continue to pray for Michael's cold and that his days and nights get straightened out soon.
Ellie said it best: "God sent us the right baby!"
Michael is a dream come true! I was affraid to even imagine a baby this good after all he has been through. He is happy, active and talkative. He is just full of smiles and happy little squeals for us. He just gets fussy when he wants to eat or is wet. He also does not like to be left alone and has wanted to be held while sleeping.... but that is understandable. There were a couple of times when he first awoke that I could see fear and confusion in his eyes, but as soon as he heard my voice there would be recognition and a smile. There were times yesterday when he would be clearly overwhelmed and refuse to look anyone in the eye, so we tried to give him his space. He looks around at everything, just studying. It is a lot to take in. Things are so very different here than in Seoul.
Okay, now I will back up a bit.... I know your first concern is how Michael is doing!
On Monday I met woth the Dr. Kim's, the senior Dr Kim was a government big wig when he quit to start Eastern Social Welfare Society over 35 years ago. On our applications there was a place where you list your occupation and I put "children's ministry". There eas no amount of explaining I could do to make the Dr.'s believe that I was not a minister - or clergy. They thought I was just trying to be modest! The elder Dr. Kim took me out to lunch. It was amazing to hear all he has done for the orphaned children in Korea. I know everyone says this - but what an amazing man.
After our lunch I was able to see Michael again briefly. The social worker was there giving final insturctions and the foster mom brought a ton of gifts and a really beautiful hanbok. I had trouble getting it all in my suitcases. After he left to visit the dr. for a pre-flight eval. it all really hit me and I became really emotional. It was so strange. I was more than ready to go home to my family, but felt terrible leaving all of those babies I had rocked, one in particular. I felt terrible for Michael, knowing just how homesick I was... and he would soon be. It was a difficult evening - I had to stop down into the nursery to say goodbye to the baby Kari and I had deemed "Mr. Smiley". I cried thinking of leaving those babies there just needing to be held and loved.
The morning was stressful and surreal. Michael's whole foster family was there to say goodbye. His 18 year old foster brother spoke english, so I was able to give him our e-mail address. They were such great people and clearly loved Michael. Mikey fell asleep in my arms on the way to the airport, and I felt at peace. I knew that the flight would be fine. There was even a 70+ year old Korean woman who helped me with him the whole 15 hours.
Please continue to pray for Michael's cold and that his days and nights get straightened out soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment